What is the NDSS?
The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) is an initiative of the Australian Government administered by Diabetes Australia. NDSS delivers subsidised products, information and support services to people with diabetes across Australia. The Scheme started in 1987 and is funded by the Australian Government. The NDSS agent in the Northern Territory is Healthy Living NT. Access further information for health professionals here.
The NDSS aims to enhance the capacity of people with diabetes to understand and self-manage their life with diabetes. It supports people with diabetes by providing timely, reliable and affordable access to support services and products. Registration with the NDSS is free and open to all Australians who are diagnosed with diabetes. Information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities on joining the NDSS can be viewed here.
The NDSS provides a range of services and products to help manage diabetes, including a helpline 1800 637 700 for advice on diabetes management, subsidised diabetes products and a range of support programs to help learn more about managing diabetes. NDSS changes to processes to deal with COVID 19 issues and from 1 August practice nurses are authorised to complete or sign some NDSS forms. To access the FAQ's click here.
Registration is available if:
- live in Australia or are visiting from a country with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement on an applicable visa
- have been confirmed as having any type of diabetes by a doctor, endocrinologist, credentialled diabetes educator or registered nurse practitioner, or have some other serious medical condition requiring regular monitoring of blood glucose levels, and
- hold (or are eligible to hold) a Medicare card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs card.
Access relevant NDSS forms in the following links:
- NDSS Registration Form
- NDSS Medication Change Form
- NDSS Personal Details Update Form
- NDSS Blood Glucose Test Strip Six Month Approval
- NDSS Insulin Pump Consumables Assessment Form
- NDSS Continuous Glucose Monitoring Approval Form
- NDSS Pens Needles/Syringes Order Form
Access to NDSS products
There are five ways to purchase NDSS products;
- Pharmacy Access Points throughout the Northern Territory (link to Map)
- Healthy Living NT Access Point at Tiwi or Alice Springs (link to Map)
- Healthy Living NT Shop online
- By phone 08 8927 8488, fax 08 8927 8515 or mail PO Box 40113, Casuarina NT 0811;
- Mail, web and phone orders are dispatched within 48 hours.
- Postage is payable by the NDSS Registrant.
- Remote Indigenous Health Clinics (special arrangements apply).
Healthy Living NT may from time to time receive sponsorship and/or educational grants from suppliers of diabetes products or medicines in support of diabetes consumer awareness raising, educational activities for health professionals, conferences and meetings, and other activities.
Where the third party supplier is a current or prospective supplier of products or medicines included (or which could be proposed for inclusion) on the NDSS Product Schedule, Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) or other similar scheme accessed by persons with diabetes that is funded (in whole or in part) by the Commonwealth, Healthy Living NT provides this assurance that no third party supplier is entitled to, nor will receive, any advantage in terms of the provision of Commonwealth-subsidised diabetes products or medicines to people with diabetes or the provision of Scheme information to people with diabetes or health professionals.
Find out more about the NDSS at ndss.com.au or call
NDSS Helpline 1800 637 700