What is the NDSS?
The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) is an initiative of the Australian Government administered by Diabetes Australia. NDSS delivers subsidised products, information and support services to people with diabetes across Australia. The Scheme started in 1987 and is funded by the Australian Government. The NDSS agent in the Northern Territory is Healthy Living NT.
The NDSS aims to enhance the capacity of people with diabetes to understand and self-manage their life with diabetes. It also supports people with diabetes by providing timely, reliable and affordable access to support services and products. Registration with the NDSS is free and open to all Australians who are diagnosed with diabetes.
The NDSS provides a range of services to help you manage your diabetes. These include a helpline 1800 637 700 for advice on diabetes management, subsidised diabetes-related products and a range of support programs to help learn more about managing diabetes.
What products are available under the NDSS?
The NDSS gives access to a large range of subsidised products that help affordably self-manage diabetes. These products include:
- subsidised blood glucose testing strips
- subsidised urine testing strips
- free insulin syringes and pen needles (if you require insulin or an approved non-insulin injectable medications)
- subsidised insulin pump consumables (for approved persons with type 1 diabetes and gestational diabetes)
- access to Continuous Glucose Monitoring products.
A prescription from your doctor is not required to purchase products through the NDSS. Medications (including insulin) are not available through the NDSS, but are subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
Registration is available if:
- you live in Australia or are visiting from a country with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement on an applicable visa (as outlined below)
- have been confirmed as having any type of diabetes by a doctor, endocrinologist, credentialled diabetes educator or registered nurse practitioner, or have some other serious medical condition requiring regular monitoring of blood glucose levels, and
- hold (or are eligible to hold) a Medicare card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs card.
Please click on the following links to access relevant NDSS forms:
- NDSS Registration Form
- NDSS Bulk Registration Form for Indigenous Australians
- NDSS Medication Change Form
- NDSS Personal Details Update Form
- NDSS Blood Glucose Test Strip Six Month Approval
- NDSS Insulin Pump Consumables Assessment Form
- NDSS Continuous Glucose Monitoring Approval Form
- NDSS Pens Needles/Syringes Order Form
How Can I Access NDSS products?
There are five ways to purchase NDSS products;
- Pharmacy Access Points throughout the Northern Territory (link to Map)
- Healthy Living NT Access Point at Tiwi or Alice Springs (link to Map)
- Shop online
- By phone 08 8927 8488, fax 08 8927 8515 or mail PO Box 40113, Casuarina NT 0811;
- Remote Indigenous Health Clinics (special arrangements apply).
Find out more about the NDSS at ndss.com.au or call the
Helpline 1800 637 700