What is the NDSS?
The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) is an initiative of the Australian Government administered by Diabetes Australia. The NDSS agent in the Northern Territory is Healthy Living NT.
The NDSS provides a range of services to help you manage your diabetes. These include a helpline 1800 637 700 for advice on diabetes management, subsidised diabetes-related products and a range of support programs to help learn more about managing diabetes.
The NDSS provides access to a range of subsidised products that help to affordably self-manage your diabetes. You do not need a prescription from your doctor to purchase products through the NDSS. Medications (including insulin) are not available through the NDSS, but are subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
How do I register for the NDSS?
You are able to register if you:
- live in Australia or are visiting from a country with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement on an applicable visa (as outlined below)
- have been confirmed as having any type of diabetes by a doctor, endocrinologist, credentialled diabetes educator or registered nurse practitioner, or have some other serious medical condition requiring regular monitoring of blood glucose levels, and
- hold (or are eligible to hold) a Medicare card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs card.
To register or access subsidised products follow these links for relevant NDSS forms:
- NDSS Registration Form
- NDSS Bulk Registration Form for Indigenous Australians
- NDSS Syringe and Pen Needle Access Form
- NDSS Change of Personal Details Update Form
- NDSS Six Month Blood Glucose Monitoring Strip Access Form
- NDSS Insulin Pump Consumables Access Form
- NDSS Pens Needles/Syringes Access Form
- NDSS Continuous & Flash Glucose Monitoring Access Forms
Continuous and Flash Glucose Monitoring Access Forms
- Type 1 Diabetes - Age Under 21 Years
- Type 1 Diabetes - Age 21 Years and Over - Eligible Concessional Status
- Type 1 Diabetes - Pregnancy Planning, Pregnancy or immediately Post Pregnancy
- Other Eligible Conditions - Age Under 21 Years
- Update or Ceasing Access
There are five ways to purchase NDSS products;
- Pharmacy Access Points throughout the Northern Territory (link to Map)
- Healthy Living NT Access Point at Tiwi or Alice Springs (link to Map)
- Shop online
- Call us 08 8927 8488, fax 08 8927 8515 or mail PO Box 40113, Casuarina NT 0811;
- Mail, web and phone orders are dispatched within 48 hours.
- Postage is payable by the NDSS Registrant.
- Remote Indigenous Health Clinics (special arrangements apply).
Contact the NDSS
Find out more about the NDSS at ndss.com.au or call the
Helpline 1800 637 700