What is the NDSS?
The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) [1300 136 588] is an initiative of the Australian Government administered with the assistance of Diabetes Australia. The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) delivers subsidised products, information and support services to people with diabetes across Australia. The Scheme started in 1987 and is funded by the Australian Government. Diabetes Australia assists to administer the Scheme on behalf of the Government and Healthy Living NT is the NT Agent for the NDSS. As of 1 July 2016 there have been significant changes to the NDSS, for further information, please download the following letter.
How do I Register for the NDSS?
To register for the NDSS you need to meet the following criteria;
- Live in Australia and have a current Medicare Card or a,
- Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Gold card or DVA White card specific for diabetes,
- Resident of a country with a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia and,
- Are not visiting on a student visa or,
- A resident of Finland, Malta, Norway or the Republic of Ireland and have been diagnosed with either type 1, type 2 or gestational diabetes, or have been diagnosed with diabetes caused by a genetic defect, pancreatic disease, hormonal abnormality or exposure to certain drugs or chemicals.
Fill in the NDSS registration form, which will then need to be certified by a registered medical practitioner such as your doctor, endocrinologist, obstetrician or credentialled diabetes nurse educator.
Please click on the following links for relevant NDSS forms:
- NDSS registration form
- NDSS Bulk Registration Form for Indigenous Australians
- NDSS Change of Medication Form
- NDSS Change of Details Form
- Test Strip Six Month Approval
How Can I Access NDSS Products?
Without the NDSS, accessing the vital products you need to manage your diabetes can be complicated and costly. The NDSS approved product list makes it simple and easy, and accessing significantly discounted products makes the scheme very cost-effective. Mail, web and phone orders are dispatched within 48 hours. Postage is payable by the NDSS Registrant.
There are four ways to purchase:
- Pharmacy Access Points throughout the Northern Territory
- Healthy Living NT Access Point at Tiwi or Alice Springs
- For Rural and Remote Registrants by mail;
- Remote Indigenous Health Clinics (special arrangements apply).